Gavin Friday records Big Star’s Kangaroo
Gavin Friday has recorded vocals for the song “Kangaroo” by Big Star (Alex Chilton) on the compilation album “Why hast Thou forsaken me” by Universal Daughters.
The band Universal Daughters, put together for the project, includes among others Mike Patton’s guitarist Alessandro “Asso” Stefana, Mamuthones’ drummer Maurizio Boldrin and members of Verdena (one of Italy’s most notorious rock groups). The album was produced by Marco Fasolo of Jennifer Gentle (Sub Pop Records), assisted by French multi-instrumentalist Jean-Charles Carbone.
A tribute to mostly Anglo-American songs from the 20’s to the 70’s, the album a fund-raiser for Città della Speranza, an organisation that aides sick children.
Other vocalists on the album are Jarvis Cocker, Chris Robinson (Black Crowes) Alan Vega (Suicide), Jerry “Swamp Dogg” Williams, Lisa Germano, Baby Dee, Steve Wynn (Dream Syndicate), Mick Collins (The Dirtbombs), Stan Ridgway (Wall of Voodoo) and Mark Arm (Mudhoney).
‘Why hast Thou forsaken me’ is out on Santeria in Italy on April 19th and on Rough Trade records in the UK and Europe in September.
- I am born to preach the gospel (Washington Phillips) – Chris Robinson
- First of May (the Bee Gees) – Jarvis Cocker
- It’s your voodoo working (Charles Sheffield) – Mick Collins
- I hear voices (Screamin’ Jay Hawkins) – Alan Vega
- Hong Kong blues (Hoagy Carmichael) – Baby Dee
- Cheree (Suicide) – Mark Arm
- Midnight, the stars and you (Al Bowlly) – Lisa Germano
- Is that all there is? (Peggy Lee) – Stan Ridgway
- The clock (Johnny Ace) – Swamp Dogg
- Psycho (Leon Payne) – Steve Wynn
- For the last time we’ll pray – (Pino Donaggio, from Carrie)
- Kanga Roo (Big Star) – Gavin Friday
- Mother (John Lennon) – Marco Fasolo + Verdena